If you ever see a post from me with the caption (c a n v a s) expect to see an awesome diy art project… one of my side hobbies 🙂
Today’s art project is one I’ve been working on for a few weeks in my Art II class. It’s actually pretty simple to do as long as you have the right materials.
m a k e s u r e y o u h a v e :
- White acrylic paint
- other two paint colors of choice
- exacto blade knife
- small string of battery powered Christmas lights (optional)
- canvas (size of choice)
- verse or phrase… I chose Matthew 5:16
- hot glue gun
- light crafting wire
okay here’s some photos and instructions on how i made “Shine”
- I painted the entire canvas white before painting on the letters.
- After that dried, I drew on the words (lightly) in pencil… even ‘shine’
*this was actually the rough draft… more addition later that wasn’t photographed, be creative!*
- I chose black for the letters so they would contrast the metallic gold “light” and bronze graphic
- use a very small paint brush to paint your letters following your pencil outline
- after this dries, erase any peeking pencil marks
- check and make sure you drew the word you plan to cut out in block letters! No need to paint this, just pencil.
- I used an exacto blade art knife to carefully cut the block letters out the canvas. If the letters were large enough, you could probably puncture sections and cut with scissors, but this would be much less precise.
- you’ll notice that floppy parts like the center of the “n” and “e” will hang down after you first cut.
- to make them stand up, I cut crafting wire and used hot glue on the back of the canvas like so:
this will not show through the canvas.
other than this, you are finished!
- an optional addition that I wanted to use but didn’t have the time is to buy a small battery powered string of Christmas lights that can be lined about the inside of the canvas, and if they are bright enough they will shine through the canvas and cut out letters, adding an awesome affect!
Hope you guys enjoy making this, comment below if you have any questions! <3
xoxo – Jordan
*remember to follow me on Ig :jordancarter99 Twitter: jordan_r_carter Pin: jordancarter99*